I had my eyes of a storage solution for the back of Truckasaurus for a long time and have gone through several iterations. I purchased a huge locking storage box that while really really secure and weatherproof is not all that practical for daily use. Difficult to get into, and while huge and cavernous was not really that easy to get my camping boxes into and even harder remove from. After our trip to Baja where I wrestled with it I decided I needed something new.
After looking at the various manufacturers the market for a dedicated bed solution (insert your favorite here) I realized that I could most likely build what I wanted. Let me just interject here that by no means do I believe my system to be a fraction as secure, weatherproof, theft proof or robust, but the $ / performance factors were clearly in my favor. I don’t need ultimate security, and this was an initial foray into woodworking for me. If these don’t hold up I will go to something more robust.
But…. for a little over $200 I am STOKED!!
I used 3/4 MDF (fiberboard) as it was really easy to work with. With hindsight I would use a higher grade plywood as it would be more weatherproof and I constantly found myself reinforcing and second guessing the load carrying capabilities of the wood, but hindsight is 20/20…..
I bought two 4×8 foot sheets and that was plenty.
I also purchased 36 inch 200 lb sliders that claimed to need 3/4 clearance on each side for smooth operation. What I discovered is that for 36 inch extension, they needed to be about 40 inches which meant they didn’t fit depth wise in the drawers and also the 3/4 was a minimum and I found they bound so I “downgraded” to 100 lb 28″ sliders
I decided to add some basic drawer pulls that I had to hole saw out and some carpet and glue. Both were substantially easier to install than I thought.
L, W, H – 34x49x8
L, W, H – 33x22x7.75